Who We Are - Whittier Early Childhood Center
We are nurturing the development of early learning through play and social interaction, preparing our preschoolers for kindergarten success.
It is the mission of Sidney City Schools to inspire, empower, and prepare our students for their best future.
Our vision is to meet the needs of all students in a safe, respectful, and responsible learning community.
We are proud of our many curriculum offerings, as well as the great accomplishments of our students. The success of our students is a reflection of the quality of education our staff continues to provide. Our teachers’ continued efforts to embrace and implement new programs and state mandates are the reason why our district is able to make progress. The district looks to the future as it embraces the ever-changing landscape of education and as well as maintaining financial stability, strong leadership, and quality education.
Sidney City Schools is proud to offer preschool to children ages 3-5, serving both students with disabilities and their typically developing peers. WECC typically starts a year with
Early childhood education lays the groundwork for the development of a lifelong learner.
As educators, it is our goal to support the whole child by providing learning opportunities in all areas of development including social-emotional skills and academic foundations. Children develop an excitement for learning through a play-based, multi-sensory approach and meaningful interactions with others.
We strive to provide a fun, safe, and exciting culture that encourages students to take risks, problem-solve, and move toward independence.
Our program provides learning experiences that incorporate student interests and address individual needs.
We believe that children learn best:
- In a safe and nurturing environment
- When they are valued as unique, capable and independent individuals whose abilities are celebrated
- Through a team approach focused on the whole child, which includes parents and staff actively working together
- In a language and literacy-rich environment
- When activities are developmentally appropriate and individualized
- Learn best through the process of an activity rather than focusing on the product
- Learn best through play by investigation and exploration
- Learn best from each other and benefit from being with peers of varying abilities as they learn to function within a group
- Learn best when they are empowered to work cooperatively, problem-solve, and take responsibility for their choices
Our intent is to build a strong foundation for future learning and
empower children to reach their highest potential.
Dear Preschool Families and Friends,
Welcome to Whittier Early Childhood Center where our mission is, “To nurture the development of early learning through play and social interaction, preparing our preschoolers for kindergarten success.”
Our staff understands the importance of its role in guiding and teaching our youngest students at the beginning of their life-long journey of learning. We look forward to developing academic, social, emotional, and motor skills to prepare your children for the educational opportunities of kindergarten and beyond.
I believe a partnership with our families is key to our students’ success. I look forward to meeting and talking to parents and grandparents on how we can best support the learning needs of our students, your children.
If you have questions or comments about our preschool please feel free to contact me or just stop by my office. I am looking forward to meeting and getting to know our Whittier families and friends.
In Jacket Pride,